The windows in your home are your connection to the outside world, and how you choose to dress them speaks volumes about your interior design style. Leaving them uncovered is a sleek, modern look for those who live in wooded or isolated areas. If curtains are too fussy for your minimalist furnishings and blinds are too blah for your modern taste, plenty of alternatives are available. Here are some modern window treatment ideas to protect your privacy while showing off your style.
- Window finishes. Frosted glass, window films and glass alternatives let in light while protecting artwork, wood and other household items from fading because of sun exposure.
- Screens. Laser-cut metal and folding screens make a bold architectural statement.
- Shades and shutters. Window shades have experienced a rebirth, thanks to new fabrics that filter UV light. Solid-panel shutters or those with adjustable louvers can be painted to match or complement a room’s color scheme.
- Art. Artwork, maps and posters and signs in the right size and shape can multitask in any room.
- Plants. Plant a herb garden for your kitchen window and have fresh herbs at the ready for all your meals. Outside, window boxes can be filled with taller flowering plants that provide color and screening qualities both inside and outside.